Discover fast, interesting fun owl facts for kids with some amazing, cool and quick information. Ideal for children, homework, schools, teachers and kids of all ages! Learn what owls eat, how they hunt, what a group of owls is called and much more.
- Owls belong to the Order Strigiformes and they are birds of prey.
- Over 200 types of owls live on the Earth.
- Owls can’t move their eyes. They must turn their heads to see.
- They hunt for mice, lizards and other small animals at night.
- Owls spit up pellets that contain the bones and fur of their prey.
- The Great Grey Owl is the largest owl ever recorded.
- The tiniest owl is the Elf Owl, which is 5 – 6 inches tall and weighs about 1 ½ ounces.
- Burrowing owlets will mimic a rattlesnake’s rattle to scare predators.
- Most owls don’t make their own nest. They usually nest in a tree cavity or in an old crow, raven, or hawk nest.
- Owls fly quietly so that they can listen hard for the tiny sounds made by prey animals.
- The name given to a group of owl is a Parliament, although sometimes they are called a ‘Wisdom of Owls’.
Check out some interesting facts about parrots!