Fast fun whale facts for kids to make the learning process easy, funny and great fun! Find out more about our sea friend, the whale. You will find the answer to questions like how quick they swim, what they eat and how fast they can swim. Did you know that there are 79 to 84 different species of whale on the world?
- To breathe, whales have a blowhole in the top of their heads.
- Since they need to rise to surface to breath, only one half of their brain sleeps at a time.
- Wales are mammals that are fully adapted to aquatic life.
- Whales can swim as fast as 30 miles per hour.
- Some whales can stay underwater for as long as 90 minutes.
- There are two types of whales, Baleen Whales and Toothed Whales.
- Baleen whales feed from krill and plankton.
- Toothed whales eat several kind of fish, like tuna, cod and salmon among others and seals.
- Whales do not drink seawater; instead, they extract water from their food by metabolizing the fat.
- The Blue whale is the largest animal in the world, they can weigh over 200 tons.
- Some baleen whales sing.
- Baleen whales use sonar to communicate with one another.
- A baby whale is called a calf.
- The most famous story about whales is Moby Dick.
Check out some interesting facts about sharks!