Interesting tornado facts that you didn’t know about with tornado pictures and information. Check them out, now!
- A typical tornado only lasts for a few minutes.
- A tornado is as a rotating, funnel-shaped cloud that extends from a thunderstorm to the ground with whirling winds.
- There are three main types of tornado; Multiple Vortex, Waterspout and Landspout.
- Tornadoes are sometimes called “twisters.”
- When tornadoes form over ocean waters they are known as waterspouts.
- Tornado intensity and damage is measured by Fujita scale or the F-Scale.
- The damage path of a tornado is usually less than 1,600 feet wide.
- The most powerful Tornadoes occur in the United States.
- A tornado can last from a few seconds to more than an hour.
- A strong tornado can pick up a house and move it down the block.
- Dust devils are nicknames for miniature tornadoes that occur in desert areas.
- Usually, a tornado’s color matches the color of the ground.
- Tornadoes are most likely to occur between 3 pm and 9 pm, but can occur at any time.
More weather facts!