Austria is a beautiful country, rich in natural as well as architectural splendor. Know more about the county, with the fun and interesting Austria Facts given here.
- Austria is a pipe-shaped, landlocked country in Europe.
- There are about 8.5 million people that live in Austria.
- The German name for Austria is Osterreich, which means ‘Eastern Empire’.
- The largest city in Austria is Vienna with 1.7 million people.
- Vienna is among the four regions that have vineyards.
- Vienna has many aristocrat palaces.
- The official language spoken in Austria is German.
- Austrian flag is one of the oldest national flags in the world.
- 62% of land area is occupied by the Austrian Alps.
- The largest natural lake in Austria is Lake Neusiedler.
- Over 60 percent of Austria’s electricity is supplied by renewable sources.
- The sewing machine was invented in 1818 by Josef Madersperger, an Austrian.
- The candy PEZ was invented in Austria.
- Ferdinand Porsche, the founder of “Porsche” company, was from Austria.
- The father of psychoanalysis, Sigmund Freud, was Austrian.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, former Hollywood actor and current governor of California, grew up as an Austrian citizen.
- Football (soccer) is a popular sport in Austria.
- Vienna’s Central Cemetery (Zentralfriedhof) has over 2.5 million tombs (more than the city’s live population).