Belgium has the highest income tax of any OECD country. Find out some more amazing facts about this interesting country!
- The country is being run by a caretaker government.
- Belgium produces around 220,000 tonnes of chocolate every year.
- Belgians should be given credit for their “French Fries“. It wasn’t France who came up with fries at the first place.
- Belgium produces the highest number of comic books in the world (even more than Japan).
- The world’s main diamond center and second largest petrochemical center is in Belgium.
- The Royal Palace of Brussels is 50% longer than Buckingham Palace.
- Belgium also has enforced compulsory voting.
- It grants the most new citizenship per capita in the world.
- The saxophone was invented in Belgium, in the early 1840′s by Adolphe Sax.
- In the 15th century, Belgians were credited with inventing oil painting.
- Brussels sprouts have been grown in Belgium for over 400 years.
- Belgians tend to be liberal thinkers. They legalized euthanasia in 2002.
- Belgium was the scene of Napoleon’s final defeat, at Waterloo, south of Brussels.
- The Law Courts of Brussels is the largest court of justice in the world (26,000 m² at ground level). It is bigger than Saint Peter’s Basilica in Rome.
- It has the world’s longest rail network with 4078 kilometers if you add all the tracks together.