More than a quarter of the Netherlands is below sea level. Shocked? You will find out a lot more if you continue to read these amazing facts about this country in Europe!
- The Netherlands is the most densely populated nation in Europe.
- The Netherlands is a very flat country.
- The capital city of The Netherlands is Amsterdam.
- 86% of the population speak English as a second language.
- The Netherlands is a republic with a constitutional monarchy.
- Rotterdam is the second largest port in the world.
- Amsterdam has 1,281 bridges. Venice, by comparison, has 409.
- Keukenhof Park is the largest flower garden in the world.
- There is over 4,400km of rivers, lakes and canals.
- Amsterdam’s soil is so sandy that pretty much every building is sitting on wooden piles.
- Tulips do not originate from the Netherlands. The first tulip bulbs were imported from Turkey to the Netherlands.
- Dutch electronic dance music has conquered the world with DJs like Armin van Buuren, Tiësto and Afrojack.
- One of the largest electronics companies in the world, Phillips, is Dutch.
- After Scandinavians, the Dutch are the world’s biggest coffee drinkers.
- The Dutch beer brands Heineken, Grolsch and Amstel are among the most famous brews in the world.
- 70% of the world’s bacon comes from Netherlands.
- Dutch cheese is the best cheese in the world.
- The Dutch invented Gin, though it’s called Jenever here.
- The famous Dutch windmills were used to pump away water for hundreds of years.
- It is the bicycle capital of the world with more than 18 million in the country.
- The microscope, the telescope, pendulum clock and the mercury thermometer are all 16th or 17th century Dutch inventions.
- The Dutch are on average the tallest people in the world. Men are six feet tall (182.5cm) and women are 5 feet 7 inches (170.5cm).
- The Dutch love to play football, although as yet the Netherlands have not won the World Cup.
Check out some European Flags Printables For Kids!