Edinburgh was the first city in the world which had its own fire-
- Scotland is the second largest country in the United Kingdom of Great Britain.
- Scotland has approximately 790 islands out of which only 130 are inhabited.
- Edinburgh, like Rome, was built on 7 hills.
- The official animal of Scotland is Unicorn.
- English is the official language of Scotland.
- Glasgow has the only subway system in Scotland.
- Scotlands longest River, the River Tay flows for 190 kilometres.
- Scotland boasts of over 600 square miles of freshwater lakes, known as lochs, of which the most famous one is Loch Ness.
- Scotland is well known in the world for its whisky.
- Scotland is considered the home land of golf.
- 7 out of every 10 Scots have blue eyes.
- The average temperature in July is 15 degrees Celsius; in January it is 3 degrees Celsius.
- Scotland has a unique culture with traditions such as bagpipes, kilts and highland dancing.
- Though all the banks in Scotland print their own money, they do not have the authority to produce coins.
- Radar, the object detection system, was invented by the scientist from Scotland, Sir Robert Alexander Watson-Watt.
- Sean Connery, the famous Hollywood actor, is of Scottish origin.
- K Rowling, author of the famous Harry Potter books, wrote her first novel ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’ in a café in Edinburgh.
Check out some printable world flags!