Enjoy sports science for kids with our unique factsheet. Find out more about soccer, basketball or hokey!
- Three continents – Africa, South America, and Antarctica – have never hosted an Olympics.
- The Olympic rings cover every flag in the world.
- The Olympics once lasted 187 days.
- Black athletes didn’t win the marathon until 1960.
- Soccer is the most attended or watched sport in the world.
- A soccer ball is made up of 32 leather panels, held together by 642 stitches.
- A single soccer player runs 7 miles during an entire game.
- The largest football stadium in the world is the Maracana in Rio de Janeiro.
- It takes 3,000 cows to supply the NFL with enough leather for a year’s supply of footballs.
- Brazil is the only country to have played in every World Cup tournament.
- The Major League Baseball teams use about 850,000 balls per season.
- 22.8% of golfers are women.
- Boxing became a legal sport in 1901.
- South Korea is the birthplace of taekwondo, an olympic sport since 2000.
- Michael Schumacher is the highest paid sportsman, ahead of Tiger Woods and Arnold Palmer.
- Golf is the only sport played on the moon by Alan Sheppard on 6 February 1971.
- Americans spend more than $630 million a year on golf balls.
- The Tour de France bicycle race is 2,300 miles long.
Check out our interesting facts about metals!