Interesting information and fun squirrel facts for kids. Read these not so well known facts about squirrels, you may learn something new. Share your knowledge with your friends and family!
- Worldwide there are nearly 300 species of squirrels.
- The smallest squirrel is the African pygmy squirrel which is tiny at around 10 cm long.
- Squirrels can fall up to 100 feet without hurting themselves.
- Squirrels can jump a distance of up to 20 feet.
- Squirrels are natural hoarders and like to bury little bits of food, then forget where.
- Squirrels can run as fast as 20 mph (32 kph).
- Squirrels use their tails as a signalling device, twitching it when uneasy to alert other squirrels of potential danger.
- Flying squirrels actually glide using a membrane which stretches from their wrists to their ankles.
- A male squirrel can smell a female in heat up to a mile away.
Baby squirrels are called kittens and kittens are born only twice a year.
Baby squirrels are blind at birth.
Check out some interesting facts about koalas!