Sigmund Freud is one of the most famous thinkers in psychology history. Learn and share these interesting facts about Freud!
- Sigmund Freud was born on May 6, 1856 in Austria.
- Freud was fascinated with cocaine, and abused it for over 12 years of his life.
- Freud’s main belief was that young children, even infants, had unconscious sexual feelings.
- Freud strongly believed that women were the inferior of the two sexes and had classified homosexuality as a disorder that was rooted in the psyche.
- Freud is famous for being the inventor of psychoanalysis.
- Freud formulated the Oedipus complex.
- Sigmund Freud postulated the existence of libido.
- Freud was one of the first to really propose serious theories on the unconscious.
- Freud developed therapeutic techniques like free association.
- His main belief at the time was that dreams are a way of fulfilling things we wish we could do while conscious, but were unable.
- Freud is known to have treated the famous composer Gustav Mahler for impotency.
- He was multilingual and spoke German, Latin, Greek, Hebrew, English, French, Spanish and Italian.
- Freud was awarded the Goethe Prize in recognition for his contributions to psychology.
- Sigmund Freud had an obsession for the number 51 and for a long time he believed that he would die at that age.
- He died in 1939 after suffering from mouth and jaw cancer for 20 long years.
Check out our interesting facts about Kepler!