England is part of the United Kingdom and birthplace to scientists such as Charles Darwin and Isaac Newton. Find out more about this amazing country!
- England is 74 times smaller than the USA.
- Chickens outnumber humans in England.
- England is often mistaken for the entire United Kingdom or Great Britain.
- French was the official language of England for about 300 years.
The tallest Ferris wheel in Europe is housed in London. It was called Millennium Wheel, but has since been redubbed The London Eye.
- The flag of England is called the Union Flag when it is seen on land and Union Jack when it is being used on a ship.
- London has been called Londonium, Ludenwic, and Ludenburg in the past.
- The Thames has over 200 bridges and tunnels along its course.
- London is the first city in the world to have an underground subway system.
- There are 409 escalators in the London subways.
- The English drink more tea than anyone else in the world.
- The real name of Big Ben is the ‘Clock tower’.
- Buckingham Palace has its own police station.
- British police do not carry guns except in emergencies.
- England brought the world soccer, rugby and polo.
- It is against the law to get drunk in a pub in England.
- The first hot chocolate store opened in London around 1600.
- To paste a stamp that has the Monarch’s face upside down is considered treason.
- The Liverpool cathedral is the newest cathedral of Britain. It was completed in 1978.
- The London and Westminster gas and coke company became the first gas company of the world.
Want more content like this? Access
over 6,000 exclusive items.