Learn and share some interesting facts about space, covering the planets, solar system, space exploration, galaxies and more.
- The Universe is probably about 15 billion years old, but the estimations vary.
- There may be a huge black hole in the very middle of the most of the galaxies.
- If you fell into a black hole, you would stretch like spaghetti.
- The Sun travels around the galaxy once every 200 million years.
- A day on Mercury lasts approximately as long as 59 days on Earth.
- The first space telescope was the Copernicus, sent out in 1972.
- Nicolaus Copernicus was the astronomer who first suggested that the Sun was the center, and that the Earth went round the sun.
- From the moon, astronauts brought back 380 kg of Moon rock.
- If you put Saturn in water it would float.
- Uranus was originally called George’s Star.
- If two pieces of metal touch in space, they become permanently stuck together.
- In 2004, astronomers discovered a star made entirely of diamonds.
- Weightlessness makes astronauts grow several centimeters during a long mission.
- Our Galaxy – the Milky Way is spinning at a rate of 225 kilometers per second.
- The red color of Mars is due to oxidized (rusted) iron in its soil.
- Every year the moon moves about 3.8cm further away from the Earth.
- Stars twinkle because we see them through the wafting of the atmosphere.
Check out our most interesting collection of planet facts!