KidsPress Magazine
  • logo

Amazing facts you probably didn’t know about energy. Learn about various types of energy, about energy laws and much more. Share your knowledge with your classmates!

  • Only 10% of energy in a light bulb is used to create light. The other 90% creates heat.
  • There are two basic groups of energy: renewable and nonrenewable energy.
  • Kinetic energy is one of two main types of energy. When something is in motion, it has kinetic energy.
    Energy Facts

    The concept of potential energy goes all the way back to Ancient Greece and the philosopher Aristotle.

  • Potential Energy is stored energy. Examples of potential energy are oil sitting in a barrel.
  • Mechanical Energy is the energy of motion that does the work. An example of mechanical energy is the wind as it turns a windmill.
  • Heat energy is energy that is pushed into motion by using heat.
  • Chemical Energy is energy caused by chemical reactions. A good example of chemical energy is food when it is cooked.
  • Gravitational Energy is motion that is caused by gravity.
  • Electrical Energy is when electricity creates motion, light or heat.
  • The United States produces half of its electricity from coal.
  • Renewable energy sources including biomass, hydro power, geothermal, wind, and solar.
  • More than 10,000 homes in the United States are powered entirely by solar energy.
  • Space missions have been using solar energy to power spaceships since 1958.
  • The U.S. houses 5% of the world’s population, but uses 23% of the world’s energy.
  • Thomas Edison built the first power plant, and in 1882 his Pearl Street Power Station sent electricity to 85 buildings.
  • Albert Einstein defined energy as mass multiplied by the speed of light squared, or e=mc2.
  • A “watt” is a unit of power that measures the rate of producing or using energy.
  • Energy cannot be destroyed or created—only transformed.
  • Food contains energy, which is measured in calories or joules.
  • If a person yelled for 8 years, 7 months, and 6 days, he or she would produce enough energy to heat one cup of coffee.
How to Make a Foxhole RadioSound - How Loud Is Too Loud?School Clipart – I Love Physics
More like this...