Discover interesting brain facts and the truth behind brain myths from KidsPress Magazine. Share your knowledge with your friends and classmates!
- The average adult human brain weighs three pounds, and is made up of 75 percent water.
- There are 100 billion neurons (nerve cells) in the brain.
- The average number of thoughts a person has each day is 70,000.
- Your brain uses 20% of the total oxygen in your body.
- Most people dream about 1-2 hours a night and have an average of 4-7 dreams each night.
- Five minutes after a dream, half of the dream is forgotten.
- The human brain has the same consistency as tofu.
- The human brain is the largest and most powerful sex organ.
- There are more than 100,000 chemical reactions happening in the human brain every second.
- There is no sense of pain within the brain itself.
- The human brain has around 100,000 miles of blood vessels.
- The human brain can process information as fast as 268 miles/hr.
- Reading out loud to kids accelerates their brain development.
- The word “brain” appears 66 times in the plays of William Shakespeare.
- Oxytocin, also known as ‘love hormone’, is secreted in your brain in high doses when you fall in love.
- Your brain use 20-30% of all the calories you eat.
- Wearing a helmet can reduce the risk of brain injury by as much as 80%.
- 60% of your brain is fat.
- When awake, the human brain produces enough electricity to power a small light bulb.
Check out our amazing facts about our bodies!