Bottled Water Facts
Did you know that the production of water bottles uses 17 million barrels of oil per year? Check out more bottled water facts on Kidspress Magazine!
- The energy we waste using bottled water would be enough to power 190,000 homes.
- The first documented case of selling bottled water was in Boston in the 1760s.
- Americans used about 50 billion plastic water bottles last year.
- Australians spend more than half a billion dollars a year on bottled water.
- China has quickly become the number two consumer of bottled water in the world.
- America is now drinking more bottled water than milk or beer.
- Bottled water costs 1,000 times more than tap water.
- Bottles used to package water take over 1,000 years to bio-degrade.
- U.S. landfills are overflowing with 2 million tons of discarded water bottles alone.
- Bottled water isn’t always as safe as tap water.
- When heated, water bottles can leach BPA into the water.
- Transporting the empty bottles to their filling destinations uses energy and releases harmful emissions.
- Recycling one plastic bottle can save enough energy to power a 60-watt light bulb for six hours.